Andy Murray of the UK on 20 December 2015 received the 2015 BBC Sports Personality of the Year award in London. The Scottish tennis-player was presented the award by Irish boxing legend Barry McGuigan.
Murray was chosen for the award after a public vote in which he received 361446 of the 1,009,498 votes cast. The voting was based on performance of sports personalities in 2015.
For Murray, it was the second award in three years. He received the previous award in 2013.
Achievements of Andy Murray in 2015
• In November, he led Great Britain's tennis team to a first Davis Cup victory after a gap of 79 years.
• He reached the final of the Australian Open and the semi-finals of both Wimbledon and the French Open.
• He finished the year second in the world rankings and won all 11 of his Davis Cup rubbers, including three in the final against Belgium.
About BBC Sports Personality of the Year award
• It is the annual sports award presented by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC).
• The winner is the sportsperson, judged by a public vote, to have achieved the most that year.
• The recipient must either be British or reside and play a significant amount of their sport in the United Kingdom.
• The winner is selected by a public-vote from a pre-determined shortlist.
• The award was instituted by Paul Fox in 1954, who thought of the idea while he was editor of the magazine show Sportsview.
• In 2014, the award was received by formula one racing driver Lewis Hamilton.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
What: Won by Andy Murray
When: 20 December 2015
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.
Japan and South Korea reached Agreement on Issue of Comfort Women
Union Cabinet approved construction of 69 bridges on trilateral highway in Myanmar
Union Cabinet approved MoU between India & Jordan for promoting cooperation in IT & Electronics
Dr Gyanendra D Bandgaiyan appointed DG of National Centre for Good Governance