Arsenal beat Chelsea 2-1 to win 13th FA Cup
Arsenal, which came off strong right from the start, managed to defeat Chelsea, seven-time FA Cup champion, to grab its 13th FA Cup title
Arsenal won its 13th FA Cup with a 2-1 victory over Chelsea, the reigning Premier League champions, on 27 May 2017 at the Wembley Stadium in London, England.
Just 4 minutes into the match and Arsenal were in the lead with Alexis Sanchez’s right-footed shot past Chelsea goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois. The goal, which was incredibly controversial, was the fastest ever FA Cup final goal.
• Arsenal maintained its 1-0 lead well into the second half.
• Chelsea were reduced to ten men in the second half after its mid-fielder Victor Moses, made a second foul and was sent off in the 68th minute.
• Chelsea made its come back with striker Diego Costa’s equalizer in the 76th minute. Costa sent off a curling shot past Arsenal goalkeeper David Ospina and hit the bottom left corner of the goal.
• Arsenal picked up its lead just three minutes later when its forward Olivier Giroud, who had come in as a substitute just moments earlier, chipped a ball in front of the goal that found midfielder Aaron Ramsey for an easy score on a header.
• With the win, Arsenal managed to salvage a disappointing season in which it failed to qualify for the Champions League for the first time in two decades.
• Chelsea, on the other hand, fell short in its attempt to grab its second-ever double cup.