Asteroid 1998 QE2 passed relatively close to Earth on 31 May 2013. The asteroid was actually a space rock which was huge enough to completely wipe out the civilization on Earth. Scientists from NASA monitored the asteroid and it was revealed that the asteroid was accompanied by its own Moon.
The scientists from NASA obtained the radar images of this asteroid on 29 May 2013 by making use of 230-foot (70-meter) Deep Space Network antenna at Goldstone when this asteroid was situated at around 3.75 million miles (6 million kilometers) from Earth.
About the Asteroid 1998 QE2
• Asteroid 1998 QE2 was a binary asteroid.
• Radar images gathered by NASA revealed that primarily, the body of this asteroid was 1.7 miles (2.7 kilometers) in diameter.
• The asteroid had the rotation period of less than 4 hours.
• The images also showed that there were a lot of dark surfaces on the asteroid, which means that it had large concavities.
• The asteroid also had its own Moon which was around 2000 feet (600 meters) wide.
At present, NASA is monitoring 95 percent of huge asteroids that have orbits that come very close to Earth. It is important to note that earlier on 15 February 2013, a smaller asteroid blasted over the skies of Chelyabinsk, Russia which left over 1500 people injured.