Atletico de Kolkata on 18 December 2016 was crowned the Indian Super League champions for the second time in three seasons.
The team defeated the Kerala Blasters in a penalty shootout, 4–3, during the final. The match had ended 1–1 after 90 minutes and extra time.
About Atletico de Kolkata
- Atletico de Kolkata is an Indian Super League football franchise.
- It is based in Kolkata, West Bengal.
- It was established on 7 May 2014 as the first team in the league.
- The team is owned by Kolkata Games and Sports Pvt. Ltd., which consists of Sourav Ganguly, Spanish La Liga club Atletico Madrid, alongside businessmen Harshavardhan Neotia, Sanjiv Goenka and Utsav Parekh.
- The marquee player for the 2016 season was Portugal international forward Helder Postiga. Spanish midfielder Borja Fernández served as the captain of the team.
About Indian Super League
- The Indian Super League is a men's professional football league in India.
- It was founded in 2013 in an effort to make football a top sport in India and to increase the level of Indian football worldwide.
- The league currently features eight teams from around India.
- Since the inaugural season, three teams have been crowned the champions of the Indian Super League.
- The winner of the 2015 Indian Super League was Chennaiyin.