DY Patil, the Governor of Bihar, on 4 July 2014 assumed the additional charge of West Bengal as the acting Governor. His oath of the office was administered by senior most judge Justice Asim Kumar Bandyopadhya of the Calcutta High Court at a function in Raj Bhawan in Kolkata.
Patil took over the charge of the office from MK Narayanan who resigned from the post on 30 June 2014, which was accepted by the President on 4 July 2014. Narayanan became the 24th Governor of West Bengal on 24 January 2010.
DY Patil will hold the additional charge of the post as interim arrangement till some permanent Governor is not appointed for the state.
About DY Patil
• He is an educator and a leader of the Indian National Congress from Maharashtra state
• Patil was elected to the Kolhapur Municipal Council as a Congress candidate in 1957 and remained in office until 1962
• He was the member of the Maharashtra Vidhan Sabha from 1967-78
• He was appointed the Governor of Tripura state on 21 November 2009
• He became Governor of Bihar on 29 May 2013
• He received the Padma Shri award in 1991 for social work
When: 4 July 2014