The Substance and the Shadow: authored by Uday Tara Nayar (Biography of actor Dilip Kumar)
The Substance and the Shadow, the biography of 91-year-old-thespian Dilip Kumar was released on 10 June 2014 in Mumbai by Amitabh Bachchan, Dharmendra and Aamir Khan. The biography in form of memoir has been penned by Uday Tara Nayar, a former journalist.
The book has detailed the ups and downs of the legend of Bollywood who was born as Mohammad Yusuf Khan and adopted the screen name of Dilip Kumar
During the book release, actor Aamir Khan also recited a poem penned by Prasoon Joshi specifically for the occasion.
About Dilip Kumar
• He was born in Peshawar, Pakistan in 1922 and spent his childhood in Maharashtra
• His debut film was Jwar Bhata of 1944 produced by Bombay Talkies and some other acclaimed films were Mela, Naya Daur, Aan, Devdas, Madhumati and Mughal-E-Azam.
• He started a second inning in film industry in 1981 with Kranti and his last appearance was in Qila of 1998
• For a term, he was nominated to Upper House of Parliament, Rajya Sabha
• By filmmaker Satyajit Ray, Dilip Kumar was described as the ultimate method actor
• He is also known as Tragedy King
• In 1991, he was honoured with India’s third-highest civilian award, Padma Bhushan
• In 1994, he received Dadasaheb Phalke Award
• In 1998, he received Nishan-e-Imtiaz, Pakistan’s highest civilian award
• As an actor, he holds the Guinness World Record for winning the maximum number of awards by an Indian actor
• In 1954, he became the first recipient of Filmfare Best Actor Award and till now holds the record for the most number of Filmfare awards won for that category with eight wins
Where: in Mumbai
When: 10 June 2014
PM Modi plans to connect with youth through his book to be published later this year
Indira Gandhi: A Life in Nature authored by Jairam Ramesh launched
Mitchell’s book, Who Has Seen the Wind, returned to library after 52 years with apology note
India might become an educationally failed nation: Ganesh Devy