Birthday of Atal Bihari Vajpayee to be observed as National Good Governance Day
The birthday of the former Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee on the 25 December will be observed as National Good Governance Day.
The birthday of the former Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee on the 25 December will be observed as National Good Governance Day. The decision was announced on 2 December 2014 by Prime Minister Narendra Modi at Bharatiya Janata Partry (BJP) Parliamentary Board meeting in New Delhi.
On that day, all BJP Member of Parliamentarians (MPs) and government officials will make the day symbolic of good governance.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi asked all party MPs to highlight all BJP-run governments and bodies across the country as models of good governance on the day. He also asked the BJP MPs to work for an hour in their respective constituencies for the Clean India campaign.
About Atal Bihari Vajpayee
• He was born on 25 December 1924 in Gwalior, Madhya Pradesh.
• He is a three time Prime Minister of India who served the first term in 1996 for just 13 days. During his second term in 1998-1999 he served for 13 months.
• He began a push for a full-scale diplomatic peace process with Pakistan and initiated a new peace process aimed towards permanently resolving the Kashmir dispute and other conflicts with Pakistan.
• In his final and third term he completed the full five-year from 1999-2004. Thus, he became the first Prime Minister from outside the Indian National Congress party to serve a full five-year term.
• During his second term, Operation Shakti was conducted in May 1998 under which five nuclear test were conducted in Pokhran, Rajasthan.
• He began a push for a full-scale diplomatic peace process with Pakistan and initiated a new peace process aimed towards permanently resolving the Kashmir dispute and other conflicts with Pakistan. With this view he inaugurated Delhi-Lahore bus service in February 1999 and signed Lahore Declaration with Nawaz Sharif, the then PM of Pakistan.
• Lahore Declaration was followed by Kargil War in June 1999 in which India became victorious.
• During his third term, Parliament attack took place on 13 December 2001 resulting into Operation Parakaram. Also his famous pet projects National Highway Development Project and Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana during his third stint as Prime Minister.
• Vajpayee was elected to the Lok Sabha nine times and twice to the Rajya Sabha.
• In 1957, Vajpayee was elected to the Lok Sabha for the first time from Balrampur in Uttar Pradesh
• He was also the Minister of External Affairs in the cabinet of Prime Minister Morarji Desai in 1978. As foreign minister, that year Vajpayee became the first person to deliver a speech to the United Nations General Assembly in Hindi.
• When Janata government collapsed, Vajpayee restarted the Jana Sangh as the Bharatiya Janata Party in 1980.