Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation approved Smart City Proposal for Maharashtra
Ten Maharashtra Cities picked under the Smart Cities Mission are Amravati, Aurangabad, Mumbai, Kalyan-Dombivli, Nagpur, Nashik, Navi Mumbai, Pune, Solapur and Thane.
Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) on 15 December 2015 approved the Smart City Proposal (SCP) for Maharashtra with worth of 32000 crore rupees. Mumbai’s proposal appeared to be less ambitious with an outlay of 1018 crore rupees.
The Shiv Sena, ruling party of the 227-member BMC, passed the proposal with a list of fourteen amendments attached to it. Out of the fourteen amendments, 12 were made by the Shiv Sena and two by the Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS).
Highlights of the Smart City Proposal
• Ten Maharashtra Cities picked under the Smart Cities Mission are Amravati, Aurangabad, Mumbai, Kalyan-Dombivli, Nagpur, Nashik, Navi Mumbai, Pune, Solapur and Thane.
• Navi Mumbai has prepared the most expensive plan with an outlay of 8500 crore rupees, with the aim to project Navi Mumbai as one of the first planned cities of the country.
• At 6630 crore rupees, the Thane Municipal Corporation’s plan finishes second followed by Amravati, which has drawn plans amounting to 5000 crore rupees.
• Nagpur and Pune have also submitted ambitious plans of 3400 crore rupees and 2900 crore rupees respectively.
• The plan enlists essentials of a smart city as 24x7 water supply, LED lights on signals, zero-garbage zones and mobile governance.
Amendments suggested for Smart City Proposal
• Lower Parel, which has been mentioned as an area for local area development, should only be looked upon as an example and the corporation members should have a say on what area would be selected.
• 75 percent of the jobs being generated of the Smart city project should be given out to the sons of the soil (local people).
• The chairman of Special Purpose Vehicle should be the Mumbai Mayor.
• Wi Fi facility should be implemented all over Mumbai rather than at four spots only.
• The Special Purpose Vehicle (SPV) be named as Mumbai municipal corporation Smart City company.
• Mechanical sweeping be made a part of the plan along with ducting be done for utilities running through public roads.
• The civic body should be given powers to appoint the Director.
• There should be zero involvement of private companies in the SPV and 50 percent reservation of public representatives in the SPV.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App