By June 2014 India to have 243 million Internet users: IAMAI
Internet user base in India projected to reach 243 million by June 2014: IAMAI
The internet user base in India was projected to touch 243 million by June 2014. This was according to the data released by the Internet And Mobile Association of India (IAMAI) on 29 January 2014.
With more and more people accessing the Web through mobile phones, the IAMAI projected a growth of 28 percent in internet user base from June 2013 to June 2014. The Internet user base in the country stood at 190 million at the end of June 2013.
The other highlights of IAMAI data
• The internet user base in the whole year 2013 grew by 42 per cent. It increased from 150 million in 2012 to 213 million in 2013.
• Of the total user base, mobile Internet users accounted for 130 million in 2013, a growth of about 92 per cent from 68 million in 2012.
• The number of mobile Internet users was expected to touch 185 million by June 2014, accounting for about 76 per cent of the Internet user base in the country.
• The growth of Internet users has also led to a substantial growth of other digital industries such as e-commerce and digital advertising.
• Digital commerce market stood at 8146 crore rupees in December 2007 and it grew to 47349 crore rupees by the end of 2012. At the end of December 2013, digital commerce in India grew to 62967 crore rupees.
• Digital Advertising is projected to touch 2938 core rupees by the end of March 2014 witnessing a steady growth.