The Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 15 December 2017 approved the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and Colombia for cooperation in the field of agriculture and fisheries.
Following are some of the key areas of cooperation:
• Innovative agricultural practices/approaches.
• New agricultural mechanizations.
• Successful models of agricultural marketing.
• To develop projects in association with agricultural companies for production of seed.
• Innovative production models and value generation processes in horticulture(vegetables, fruits and flowers).
• Exchange of information/exchange visits of SPS experts.
• Jatropha and Karaya.
• Cooperation in research in oil seeds and oil palm.
• Marine Industrial Fishing, Aqua-culture and Research & Training in the field of Fisheries.
• Small and large ruminants (cattle, sheep, goat) and pigs productivity, diseases and diagnostics.
• Pork processing and value addition.
A Joint-Working Group (JWG) would be constituted under the agreement, in order to prepare and finalise the work plan for the next two years while specifying the tasks and activities to be undertaken during that period.
The MoU will initially be valid for a period of five years and then it would be automatically extended for subsequent periods of five years unless either party expresses its desire or intention to terminate it.
Who: Union Cabinet
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.