CERT-In signed MoU with US-CERT on Cyber Security
The Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) seeks to renew the agreement that was signed by both the countries in January 2011.
India and the USA on 11 January 2017 signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to facilitate cooperation in the field of cyber security.
The MoU was signed by Aruna Sundararajan, Secretary, Union Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology and Richard Verma, US Ambassador to India.
Highlights of the MoU
• The Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) intends to promote closer co-operation between CERT-In and US-CERT.
• While the Indian Computer Emergency Response Team (CERT-In) is a part of the Union Ministry of Electronics and Information technology, the US-CERT works under the Department of Homeland Security of the USA.
• The MoU facilitates exchange of information pertaining to the cyber security in accordance with the relevant laws, rules and regulations of India and the USA.
• This exchange of information will be based on the basis of equality, reciprocity and mutual benefit.
• On 19 July 2011, the USA and India signed a MoU to promote a closer cooperation and timely exchange of information between the organisations of their respective governments responsible for cyber security.
• Since then, regular interactions between CERT-In and US-CERT have been taking place to share the information and discuss cyber security related issues.
• In continuation of the cooperation in cyber security areas, both the governments have renewed the MoU.
The Indian Computer Emergency Response Team (CERT-In) is the nodal agency for responding to computer security incidents as and when they occur. It is operational since January 2004.
As per the Information Technology (Amendment) Act, 2008, CERT-In has been designated to serve as the national agency to perform the following functions in the area of national security.
• Collection, analysis and dissemination of information on cyber incidents
• Issuing forecasts and alerts of cyber security incidents
• Undertaking emergency measures for handling cyber security incidents
• Coordination of cyber incident response activities
• Issuing guidelines, advisories, vulnerability notes and whitepapers relating to information security practices, procedures, prevention, response and reporting of cyber incidents
• Such other functions relating to cyber security as may be prescribed