China’s Chen Long and all England and World champion Carolina Marin on 7 December 2015 bagged the Badminton World Federation (BWF) Male and Female Player of the Year Awards respectively in Dubai.
Marin held off competition from Zhao Yunlei, Saina Nehwal and Bao Yixin. On the other hand, Long retained the Male Player of the Year award that he won last year.
China’s rising star and World Junior Champion in Mixed Doubles and Men’s Doubles Zheng Si Wei grabbed the Eddy Choong Award for Most Promising Player of the Year.
BWF, for the first time, honoured para-badminton players with the year-end awards. Lee Sam Seop of Korea was named Male Para-Badminton Player of the Year. Helle Sofie Sagoy was awarded with the Female Para-Badminton Player of the Year.
About Carolina Marin
• Spain’s Carolina Marin is currently ranked No. 1 in the world by Badminton World Federation Women's Singles 2015.
• She became world champion in women's singles in 2014 and 2015.
• In 2009, she became the first Spanish badminton player to win a silver medal at the 2009 European Junior Badminton Championships.
• She also became the first Spanish badminton player to win gold medal at the 2009 European U17 Badminton Championships.
• She was the first Spanish badminton player to win a Grand Prix Gold title after winning the 2013 London Grand Prix Gold.
About Chen Long
• China’s Chen Long is an Olympic Bronze medalist, two-time World Champion, and two-time All England champion.
• He emerged as a world junior champion in the 2007 BWF World Junior Championships in both the boys' singles and team event.
• He became Asian junior champion in the 2007 Asian Junior Badminton Championships.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
When: 7 December 2015
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.