Ministry of Culture on 28 January 2016 released a commemorative coin of 150 rupees and a circulation coin of 10 rupees on Lala Lajpat Rai.
The Commemorative Coin of 150 rupees is made of Quaternary alloy with diameter of 44 mm and weight of 35 grams.
The Circulation coin of 10 rupees is made of bi-metallic material with diameter of 27 mm and weight of 7.71 grams.
The coin was released by Dr Mahesh Sharma, Minister of state (Independent charge) Minister of Tourism & Culture at New Delhi on the occasion of 150th birth anniversary of Lala Lajpat Rai. Ministry of culture has been celebrating the 150th birth anniversary of Rai from 28 January 2015 to 28 January 2016.
Yearlong celebrations of Rai’s birth anniversary
• During the year long celebrations a number of programmes were held in his memory in different parts of the country like
• Union Government released funds to Rastra Gaurava Samrakshna Parishath, Bengaluru (an NGO) for conducting 501 lectures in schools & colleges.
• The Servants of the People Society, founded by Lalaji brought out Hindi translation of 15 volumes of Collected Works of Lala Lajpat Rai.
• Punjab National Bank (PNB), founded by Lalaji undertook a variety of activities throughout the country, with special focus on Punjab.
Besides, the Punjab government sanctioned an amount of 5 crore rupees for construction of an Auditorium and 3 crore rupees for installation of Astroturf Flooring in Hockey Stadium at Lalaji’s Birth Place.
Lala Lajpat Rai
• A stalwart of the freedom struggle, he ranks among India’s most outstanding leaders.
• He was popularly known as ‘Punjab Kesari’ or ‘The Lion of Punjab’.
• Born on 28 January 1865 at a small village of Dhudike in district Ferozepur, Punjab, he was a contemporary of great stalwarts including Mahatma Gandhi.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
When: 28 January 2016
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.