Committee for Evolution of a National Education Policy submits report to Union HRD Ministry
The Committee examined the large body of outcome documents, recommendations and suggestions received from the various consultations.
The Committee for the evolution of a National Education Policy on 27 May 2016 submitted the report containing its recommendations to the Union Ministry of Human Resource Development (HRD).
Key Features of the committee
• The Committee examined the large body of outcome documents, recommendations and suggestions received from the various consultations.
• The Committee also had several meetings with various stakeholders and held regional consultations as well as undertaken field visits to educational institutions.
• Union HRD Ministry had undertaken a consultation process for framing a New Education Policy (NEP).
• The process included online, grassroots and national level thematic deliberations on 33 themes.
• The online consultations on www.MyGov.in portal were held from 26 January 2015 to 31 October 2015 and over 29000 suggestions were received.
• The bottom-up consultative process across nearly all Gram Panchayats, Blocks, Urban Local Bodies and districts of all 36 States/Union Territories was undertaken between May to October 2015.
• Thematic consultations were conducted both by the Ministry and also by the institutions like University Grants Commission(UGC), All India Council for Technical Education(AICTE), National Council for Teacher Education, National Council for Educational Research and Training(NCERT) and several centrally funded universities and institutions, autonomous bodies, attached offices.
• Along with this, all relevant stakeholders including experts, academics, industry representatives, civil society etc. were invited for deliberations on the individual themes during July to October 2015.
• Six zonal meetings were held by the Minister of Human Resource Development in Eastern, Central, North-Eastern, Western, Southern and Northern Zones covering all States and UTs in September-October 2015.
Composition of the Committee
Union Government had constituted a Committee for Evolution of the New Education Policy comprising TSR Subramanian as the Chairman and Shailaja Chandra, Sevaram Sharma, Sudhir Mankad and Prof. JS Rajput as members of the Committee.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App