Cristiano Ronaldo on 25 August 2016 won the UEFA Best Player in Europe award for 2015-16. He won the award for the second time in three years.
Ronaldo defeated Antoine Griezmann and Gareth Bale to bag the honours.
Ronaldo scored 35 goals for Real Madrid in La Liga and 16 goals in Champions League competition in 2015. He scored three goals for Portugal at Euro 2016.
Ada Hegerberg was voted the winner of the UEFA Best Women's Player in Europe Award for 2015-16 ahead of Amandine Henry and Dzsenifer Marozsan.
In 2014-15, Barcelona's Lionel Messi was the winner of the award. Ronaldo joins Messi as the only player to win the award twice.
On the other hand, Messi won the UEFA Goal of the Season award for 2015-16.
Messi won the award for his strike against Roma. During the match, he dinked the ball over goalkeeper Wojciech Szczesny in a 6-1 win over Roma in the Champions League in November 2015.
The famous goal received 73331 votes, giving Messi a 34 percent share.
• The Union of European Football Associations (UEFA) is the administrative body for association football in Europe.
• It is one of six continental confederations of world football's governing body FIFA.
• UEFA consists of 55 national association members.
• It represents the national football associations of Europe, runs nation and club competitions including the UEFA European Championship, UEFA Champions League, UEFA Europa League and UEFA Super Cup.
• Until 1959, its main headquarters were located in Paris, France and later in Bern, Switzerland.
• In 1995, UEFA headquarters transferred to Nyon, Switzerland.
• Henri Delaunay was the first general secretary and Ebbe Schwartz the first president.
• The last elected president was former French footballer Michel Platini.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App