Carlos Alvarado sworn in as Costa Rican President
• Carlos Alvarado was sworn in as the President of Costa Rica on May 8, 2018.
• Alvarado won the presidential elections in April 2018 in a controversial election against conservative Protestant singer Fabricio Alvarado Munoz.
• At the age of 39, Alvarado is the country's youngest president in modern history.
Haryana to start 31 government colleges for girls
• Haryana government decided to start 31 government colleges for girls from July 2018.
• Till the construction of college buildings gets completed, these colleges would run in vacant buildings of government schools or other organizations.
• The initiative is aimed at promoting education for girls in the state.
Operation Insaniyat: India sends second relief consignment to Bangladesh for displaced Rohingyas
• India sent its second relief consignment under Operation Insaniyat to help tens of thousands of displaced Rohingya Muslims in Bangladesh who fled Myanmar following military crackdown in Rakhine state.
• The second consignment mainly contained 104 tonnes of milk powder, 102 tonnes of dried fish, 61 tonnes of baby food, 50000 raincoats and 50000 pairs of gum boots.
• Indian Navy Ship INS Airavat carried the 373-tonne relief consignment and sailed from Vishakhapatnam.
Vijay Prahar exercise of Indian Army concludes in Rajasthan
• Indian Army’s month long Vijay Prahar exercise, conducted by South Western Command of Indian Army, concluded in Suratgarh, Rajasthan.
• The month-long exercise was aimed to orchestrate wide spectrum of threats including Nuclear, Chemical or Biological (NCB) attack.
• Over 20000 troops participated with fighting equipment for couple of weeks to fine-tune jointmanship with Indian Air Force.
Indian Pharmacopoeia Commission approves modern animal-free testing for drugs
• Indian Pharmacopoeia Commission (IPC) approved modern, animal-free tests for drug manufacturers with an aim to spare animals from suffering due to drug experiments.
• It provided guidelines on tests of drugs manufactured and marketed in India.
• It replaces pyrogen test carried out on rabbits and abnormal toxicity test carried out on guinea pigs and mice with tests that can be done in test tubes.
Madhya Pradesh launches India’s first Integrated Control and Command Centre
• Bhopal Smart City Development Corporation Ltd (BSCDCL) launched India’s first cloud-based Common Integrated Data Centre, Disaster Recovery Centre, and Integrated Control and Command Centre (ICCC).
• ICCC will enable the State administration to monitor and administer multiple city civic utilities and citizen services across seven smart cities in state through central cloud.
• These seven cities include Bhopal, Gwalior, Jabalpur, Indore, Ujjain, Satna, and Sagar.
Nepal grants license to India’s Satluj Jal Vidyut Nigam Ltd to generate power from Arun-3 Hydropower Project
• Nepal Government granted licence to Indian government-owned subsidiary Satluj Jal Vidyut Nigam Ltd (SJVNL) to generate power from a 900-megawatt (MW) Arun-3 Hydropower Project located in eastern Nepal.
• The project will also provide 21.9 percent or 197 MW of the generated energy free of cost to Nepal.
• Arun-3 Project is largest capacity project in history of hydroelectricity of Nepal. It is scheduled to be constructed within next five years on Arun river.
Business Optimism Index 2018: India slips to 6th position in first quarter of 2018
• India was ranked 6th in the first quarter of 2018 on Business Optimism Index released as part of Grant Thornton’s International Business Report (IBR).
• The report was prepared based on the results of a survey of 2500 businesses in 37 economies.
• The top five nations are Austria, Finland, Indonesia, the Netherlands and US.