Current Affairs in Short: 22 January 2019
The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI ) announced a bonus of Rs 20 lakh each for the senior selection committee members following India's maiden Test series win in Australia.
BCCI announces bonus of Rs 20 lakh each for senior selection committee members
• The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI ) announced a bonus of Rs 20 lakh each for the senior selection committee members following India's maiden Test series win in Australia.
• The selection committee comprises Chairman MSK Prasad, Devang Gandhi, Jatin Paranjpe, Gagan Khoda and Sandeep Singh.
• Virat Kohli led India to a historic 2-1 win in the four-Test series before capping the Australian tour with a maiden 2-1 triumph in the ODI series.
• The Chairman of the Committee Of Administrator (CoA), Vinod Rai lauded the selectors for picking a balanced Indian squad during the Test and ODI series in Australia.
• The BCCI had earlier announced cash awards of Rs 15 lakh per match for each of the playing eleven that featured in India's maiden Test series win on Australian soil.
Raghubar Das tables Jharkhand Budget 2019-20 worth Rs 85,429 crore
• Jharkhand Chief Minister, Raghubar Das who also holds the finance portfolio, on January 22, 2019 tabled the annual budget for the state for the year 2019-20 worth Rs 85,429 crore.
• Out of the Rs 85,429 crore, the state government has set aside Rs 65,803 crore while the institutional expenditure has been pegged at Rs 19,626 crore.
• Compared to the previous fiscal, the plan size has been increased by more than Rs 5200 crore.
• In 2018-19, the government had tabled a budget worth Rs 80,200 crore.
Assam to give 10% quota to economically weaker sections in general category
• The Assam Government has decided to give 10 percent quota in Government jobs and educational institutes to economically weaker sections in general category.
• The decision was taken in the cabinet meeting held under the Chairmanship of Chief Minister Sarbanand Sonowal in Guwahati.
• The cabinet also approved guidelines for disbursement of Rs 5000 each to 5 lakh farmers of the state under the Mukhya Mantri Krishi Sa Sajuli Yojna for purchasing of tools and equipments.
• The cabinet decided to release Rs 95 crore to the Water Resource department to repair river embankments.
Kinnar Akhara, the new feature at Kumbh Mela 2019
• Kinnar Akhara, a group of transgender saints pursuing religious activities, emerged as a very significant feature at Kumbh Mela 2019 at Prayagraj.
• Akhara has provided a forum to transgenders to pursue a dignified life with religious rituals.
• Juna Akhara, a traditional powerful Akhara of Sanyasi saints and seers, has given the recognition to Kinnar Akhara and has allowed to be part of Shahi Snan procession.
• Kinnar Akhara has set up a huge camp in sector 12 at Prayagraj Kumbh and it attracts hundreds of thousand devotees on daily basis.
• Visitors seeks blessings from the Akhara members.
• Akhara’s camp will continue till Mahashivaratri contrary to traditional Akharas who leave the Mela after taking third Shahi Snan on the auspicious occasion of Basant Panchami.
• Akhara Chief Lakshmi Narayanan Tripathi has announced to set up a Ashram at Prayagraj.
Ministry of Culture to organise auction of Mementos received by the Prime Minister
• National Gallery of Modern Art, New Delhi, under the aegis of Ministry of Culture, will organise an auction of prestigious memorable gifts presented to the Prime Minister Narendra Modi from all across India.
• The amount raised in lieu of auction will be used for the Project ‘Namami Gange’.
• The physical auction will be conducted on January 27-28, 2019 at National Gallery of Modern Art, New Delhi.
• The e-auction will take place subsequently from January 29-31, 2019 for remaining items left after physical auction, on the portal www.pmmementos.gov.in.
• Around 1900 such exclusive gifts are currently on display for public in National Gallery of Modern Art, Jaipur House, New Delhi.
• The gift items include paintings, sculptures, shawls, Pagris, Jackets and traditional musical instruments etc.
Nitin Gadkari inaugurates 39 National Highways Projects in Andhra Pradesh
• Union Minister for Road Transport & Highways, Shipping, Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation, Nitin Gadkari inaugurated and laid the foundation stone of 39 National Highways Projects in Andhra Pradesh.
• These include construction of eleven ROBs under Setu Bhartam programme.
• These projects have a length of 1384 kms, and involve investment of Rs 16,878 crore.
• The length of National Highways in Andhra Pradesh before May 2014 was 4193 Km which has now increased to 7246 Km (including In-principle NHs).
• Total likely investment in Andhra Pradesh is Rs 1,00,000 crore for development of National Highways.
• Under Bharatmala, about 2,520 Km of roads amounting to Rs 44,000 crore have been envisaged.
• Under SethuBhartam, 31 ROBs have been approved with cost of about Rs 2,500 crore.
Google Doodle celebrates soviet physicist Lev Landau on his 111th birthday
• Google Doodle on January 22, 2019 honoured Lev Davidovich Landau, a theoretical physicist who received the 1962 Nobel Prize in Physics for his development of a mathematical theory of superfluidity.
• Among his key researches were the independent co-discovery of the density matrix method, the quantum mechanical theory of diamagnetism, the theory of superfluidity, the theory of second-order phase transitions, the Ginzburg–Landau theory of superconductivity.
• Born on January 22, 1908 in Baku, Azerbaijan, which was then still with the Russian Empire, Landau was a math prodigy who learned to differentiate at age 12, to integrate at age 13, graduated at age 13 from gymnasium and matriculated at age 15 from the Baku State University.
• He received a doctorate in Physical and Mathematical Sciences in 1934 from Leningrad State University.
ICC Test Rankings: India, Virat Kohli maintain top positions
• A maiden Test series triumph in Australia saw both the Indian team and its skipper Virat Kohli consolidate their positions in the latest ICC Test rankings.
• India, with 116 points, fetched No. 1 rank as the Test team.
• Virat Kohli with 922 points maintained his top position.
• New Zealand skipper Kane Williamson with 897 points ranked second.
• Cheteshwar Pujara after his dream series Down Under is ranked third among the batsmen.
• Young Rishabh Pant entered the top 20 with a career-best 17th rank.