Ramachandra Guha pens 'the most ambitious book' on Gandhi
• Renowned historian and author of the highly acclaimed "India After Gandhi" and "India Before Gandhi", Ramachandra Guha has penned a new book on Mahatma Gandhi.
• Called as the most definitive new biography of Gandhi, the book is titled "Gandhi: the years that changed the world (1914-1948)" and will be published by Penguin Random House India.
• The book will not only tell the story of Gandhi's life, from his departure from South Africa to his dramatic assassination in 1948, but also the history of our freedom movement and its many strands.
• The book will also include new readings of his arguments with B.R. Ambedkar, Mohammad Ali Jinnah and Subhas Chandra Bose, among others.
• The book will be relevant, particularly in the context of religious tensions and communal disharmony engulfing the country in contemporary times.
India donates 200 cows for Rwandan economic development project
• Prime Minister Narendra Modi on July 24, 2018 visited a village in Rwanda and donated 200 cows for an economic development project of the East African nation.
• The cows were donated under the Girinka - One Cow Per Poor Family Programme of the Rwanda.
• Girinka is an ambitious project that provides both nutritional and financial security to the poor.
• Girinka is a social protection scheme of the Rwandan government personally overseen by President Paul Kagame.
• The poorest families are gifted dairy cows by the government and the first female calf born of the cow is gifted to the neighbour, thus promoting brotherhood and solidarity in the community.
Maternal mortality, infant mortality rates sharply decline
• The maternal mortality and the infant mortality rates in the country have sharply declined during the last three years.
• The maternal mortality rate has come down from 167 per lakh births between 2011 and 2013 to 130 between 2014 and 2016.
• The infant mortality rate has also come down from 160 to 130 per one lakh births during the same period.
• By the year 2025, the maternal mortality rate is likely to come down to 70 per one lakh.
Pakistan gets its first woman Chief Justice of High Court
• Justice Tahira Safdar was named as the Chief Justice of the Balochistan High Court by Chief Justice Mian Saqib Nisar.
• Justice Safdar will take charge of her new role following the retirement of incumbent Balochistan High Court Chief Justice Mohammad Noor Muskanzai.
• Justice Safdar had made history in 1982 when she became the first woman civil judge in Balochistan.
• She is currently a member of the three-judge special court conducting the trial of former President Pervez Musharraf.
UP Government files its vision document for Taj Mahal before Supreme Court
• Uttar Pradesh government filed before Supreme Court the first draft report of its vision document on protection and preservation of Taj Mahal in Agra.
• The entire zone will be declared no-plastic zone and all polluting industries in the region will be closed.
• The vision document was submitted after Apex court lashed out the state government on July 11 for its apathy towards the 17th-century Mughal era monument.
• The use of bottled water will be also prohibited in the Taj precinct and more tourism hubs will be created.
• A comprehensive traffic management plan will be formulised to promote pedestrian movement in Taj heritage precinct.
• The draft Vision document stressed the need for no construction on Yamuna floodplains, riverbank and favoured natural plantations.
Bihar starts online transfer of diesel subsidy to farmers
• Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar launched the online transfer of diesel subsidy directly into the bank accounts of farmers in the state.
• Registered farmers would now directly get payment of diesel subsidy into their bank accounts.
• Farmers will be registered for once in order to avail the benefits of other schemes.
• Earlier, it used to take three months for farmers to get the money of diesel subsidy but with the launch of online payment system, farmers would now be able to get the diesel subsidy within 25 days.
Video: Check out the latest current affairs of this week
Parliament passes Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code (Second Amendment) Bill, 2018
Assam-NRC Draft can’t be basis of any action by any authority: SC
Government to soon introduce bill proposing death penalty for mob lynching
Ministry of Shipping issues new guidelines for improving treasury investment for Major Ports