Current Affairs in Short: 27 September 2019
National Library of Israel (NLI) has recently unveiled a short handwritten letter written by Mahatma Gandhi.
China launches its first amphibious assault ship
• Chinese Navy has launched its first amphibious assault ship in Shanghai with strong capacity in amphibious operations and performing a variety of tasks.
• This amphibious assault ship will enable Chinese army to carry out attacks on the enemy territory from the sea.
• The ship has been independently developed by China. It will undergo equipment debugging, mooring and navigational trials.
Mahatma Gandhi's 80-year-old unveiled in Israel
• The National Library of Israel (NLI) has recently unveiled a short handwritten letter written by Mahatma Gandhi. This letter is about 80 years old.
• According to the reports, the letter was written on the same day when World War II broke out. Gandhi wished ‘era of peace’ to the Jewish people in his letter.
• This letter was written on the Jewish New Year and also marked the beginning of World War when Germany attacked Poland.
National Tourism Awards conferred
• Vice President M Venkaiah Naidu conferred the National tourism awards in various categories on the occasion of World Tourism Day 2019.
• Best State award for overall growth in tourism category was given to Andhra Pradesh. Madhya Pradesh and Goa were the winners of the Adventure Tourism category.
• Telangana bagged the award for the best state in the innovative use of IT category and Uttarakhand was awarded best film promotion friendly state.
International Day for Total Elimination of nuclear weapons observed
• International Day for Total Elimination of nuclear weapons (IDTENW) was observed recently. The day has been celebrating across the world since 2014.
• An international treaty was introduced by ICAN in 2017 to prohibit nuclear weapons; it was first of its kind treaty in the world.
• According to the recently released data by the United Nations, about 14,000 nuclear warheads are present in the world.