23-29 July 2017: Quizzes for the week cover the most important happenings of the week. These quizzes will help you in revising the week at an ease, as it hosts the most important occurrences/happenings of the week that may be asked in the nearest competitive exam that will be faced by you. The quizzes covered in this weekly segment include ICC Women's World Cup, world’s richest man and India Quake among others.
1. Who was appointed as the first female President of the Supreme Court (SC) in United Kingdom (UK)?
a) Mary Wortley Montagu
b) Nell Gwyn
c) Brenda Marjorie Hale
d) Vicky Austen
2. Researchers from which country have discovered a molecule that could be used to fight the effects of Zika virus?
a) South Africa
3. Which of the following countries will host the 2018 AFC U-19 Championship?
b) South Korea
4. Prime Minister Narendra Modi recently inaugurated the Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam memorial in which of the following towns in Tamil Nadu?
5. Name the mobile app that was recently launched by the National Centre for Seismology for earthquake parameter dissemination.
a) Bharat Quake
b) India Quake
d) None of the above
6. Which of the following nations recently declared Total Independence from IMF and World Bank?
7. Who overtook Bill Gates to become the world’s richest man for a brief while on 27 July 2017?
a) Carlos Slim
b) Amancio Ortega
c) Jeff Bezos
d) Mark Zuckerberg
8. The Codex Alimentarius Commission recently adopted three Codex standards for three spices. Which of the following is NOT included in the list?
a) Black Pepper
9. The Sri Lankan Cabinet recently revised the agreement for Hambantota Port built by which country?
b) United States
10. What is rank of India in the new global Commitment to Reducing Inequality (CRI) index?
11. The GST Council recently constituted a selection committee to identify members and head of the National Anti-Profiteering Authority. Who is the chairman of the committee?
a) PK Sinha
b) Shaktikanta Das
c) Sukhdev Prasad
d) Ashoke Kumar Sen
12. The Union Government recently launched which of the following mobile apps for maintenance of rural roads?
d) Garv Grameen
13. Who won the 2017 ICC Women's World Cup?
c) South Africa
d) West Indies
14. Who won the 2017 Swedish Open Men’s Singles title?
a) Alexandr Dolgopolov
b) Albert Ramos-Viñolas
c) David Ferrer
d) Pablo Cuevas
15. Al Aqsa Mosque, which is in news these days, is situated in which of the following cities?
a) Tel Aviv
d) Old City of Jerusalem
1. (c) Brenda Marjorie Hale
Brenda Marjorie Hale, the senior-most judge of United Kngdom (UK), was appointed as the first female President of the Supreme Court (SC). She will take charge as the head of Britain’s top judging panel in September following the retirement of current President Lord Neuberger.
2. (d) Spain
Researchers from a university in Spain have announced the discovery of a molecule that could be used to combat the effects of Zika virus. The compound, known as ‘novobiocin’ had phenomenal results when given to mice with a 100 per cent cure rate. The only remaining task is figure out the correct proportion of dose needed to cure humans with a 100 per cent success rate.
3. (c) Indonesia
The Asian Football Confederation (AFC) Competition Committee on 26 July 2017 officially awarded Indonesia the hosting of the AFC Under-19 championship in 2018.
4. (d) Rameswaram
The Prime Minister, Narendra Modi, on 27 July 2017 inaugurated the Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam memorial at Pei Karumbu, Rameswaram in Tamil Nadu. The PM unveiled the statue of Dr. Kalam, and offered floral tributes at Kalam Sthal.
5. (b) India Quake
Harsh Vardhan, Union Minister of Science & Technology, Earth Sciences and Environment, Forests & Climate Change, on 27 July 2017 launched an app India Quake for Earthquake Parameter Dissemination. He launched the application on the occasion of Foundation Day of Ministry of Earth Sciences in New Delhi.
6. (a) Bolivia
Bolivia’s President Eva Morales in July 2017 declared that his nation has achieved “total independence” from the IMF and the World Bank. President Morales declared the news on his official twitter account.
7. (c) Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos, the founder of Amazon became the world’s richest man on 27 July 2017, dethroning Microsoft founder Bill Gates from the position briefly. With a jump in the share price of the US tech giant, Bezos's net worth topped $90.5 billion on the morning of 27 July, ahead of Bill Gates’ estimated worth of $90 billion, according to Forbes and Bloomberg.
8. (d) Asafoetida
The Codex Alimentarius Commission (CAC) adopted three Codex standards for black, white and green pepper, cumin and thyme, paving the way for universal agreement on identifying quality spices in various countries. The decision was taken during the Codex Alimentarius Commission’s 40th session in Geneva during 17 to 22 July 2017.
9. (d) China
Sri Lanka's cabinet cleared a revised agreement for its Chinese-built southern port of Hambantota. The port has been in controversy ever since state-run China Merchants Port Holdings signed an agreement taking an 80 per cent stake.
10. (d) 132nd
India has been ranked 132nd among 152 nations in a new global Commitment to Reducing Inequality (CRI) index, which was prepared by international NGO Oxfam and Development Finance International (DFI). The new global ranking of governments is based on what they are doing to tackle the gap between rich and poor.
11. (a) PK Sinha
The Goods and Services Tax (GST) Council in July 2017 constituted a selection committee to identify members and head of the National Anti-Profiteering Authority. The selection committee will be chaired by Cabinet Secretary PK Sinha.
12. (a) Aarambh
Aarambh is a mobile phone based app for performance based maintenance contracting and community contracting for maintenance of rural roads. The mobile phone app aims at use of Geographic Information System (GIS) based mapping for making road inventories, condition surveys, and producing cost estimates and other relevant data for preparation and monitoring of annual road maintenance plans.
13. (a) England
England on 23 July 2017 defeated India by 9 runs to clinch the 2017 ICC Women's World Cup. The final match was played at Lord's Cricket Ground in London. The win is England’s 4th title.
14. (c) David Ferrer
David Ferrer beat Alexandr Dolgopolov to become the Swedish Open champion. It was the Spaniard's first ATP Tour title since winning the Vienna Open almost two years ago.
15. (d) Old City of Jerusalem
Al Aqsa Mosque is one of the holy sites for Muslims located in the Old City of Jerusalem in Israel. It is revered both by the Muslims and the Jews.