Deepak Sandhu became the first woman Chief Information Commissioner on 5 September 2013. She was administered the oath of the office by the President of India, Pranab Mukherjee. Deepak Sandhu took over the office from Satyananda Mishra. Mishra served the 5 year term in the office.
Life Sketch of Deepak Sandhu
• Deepak Sandhu, 64, is the former Indian Information Service officer of 1971 batch.
• She was born on 19 December 1948.
• She served at various crucial positions such as Principal Director General (media and communications); Press Information Bureau; Director General, DD News; Director General (news), All India Radio.
• Thereafter, she took over as the Information Commissioner in the year 2009.
• She also represented India at the international Film Festivals in Cannes, Berlin, Venice and Tokyo, International Conference on Terrorism and Electronic Mass Media at Glendzhik (Russia) and Cyprus besides Heads of News Meetings at Atlanta, USA and Beijing.
The Central Information Commission (CIC)
• The Central Information Commission was established under the Right to Information Act, 2005.
• CIC was established under the Government of India for acting on complaints of the people.