Delhi Government approved Slum and JJ Rehabilitation and Relocation Policy, 2015

Apr 13, 2016 14:17 IST

Delhi Government on 11 April 2016 approved the Delhi Slum and JJ Rehabilitation and Relocation Policy, 2015. The bill focuses on in-situ development for the city’s urban poor.

At present, the city has 675 slums and JJ clusters, which have a requirement of about 3 lakh dwelling units.

Main Features of the Policy

•    JJ clusters which have come up before 01 January 2006 shall not be removed without rehabilitation; the cut-off date for eligibility for alternative accommodation for JJ dwellers living in these clusters would be 14 February 2015.

•    No new jhuggi will be allowed to come up.

•    DUSIB will plan and implement In-situ rehabilitation/re-development of JJ clusters wherever technically feasible; in other cases, DUSIB will resort to nearest possible relocation.

•    Once JJ clusters are taken over by DUSIB/GNCTD, in-situ rehabilitation of all the clusters will be planned and implemented by DUSIB wherever feasible; in other cases, DUSIB /GNCTD will resort to relocation of eligible JJ dwellers.

•    Land owing agencies like DDA may handover the JJ clusters on their lands to DUSIB/GNCTD on land sharing basis in the ratio of 40:60.

•    After in-situ re-development and rehabilitation, 40% land would be returned to the Land Owning Agency for whatever projects they want to have the land and JJ dwellers will be rehabilitated in the remaining 60% by constructing the multi-storey flats. In that case, Land Owing Agency will have to pay the cost of land.

Legal framework for policy

The policy will facilitate the survey of JJ clusters as well as rehabilitation of eligible JJ dwellers. The policy is based on the following legal frame-work:

I. Delhi Urban Shelter Improvement Act, 2010
II. NCT of Delhi Laws (Special Provision Act, 2011)
III. Master Plan of Delhi 2021
IV. Housing for all (Urban) Scheme Guidelines, 2015 issued by M/o HUPA, Union Government
V. Landmark decisions of the Hon’ble Supreme Court of India and the most recent decision of the Chief Justices’ Bench of Delhi High Court in the case of Sudama Singh vs. Government of Delhi

Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1  Current Affairs App

Is this article important for exams ? Yes2 People Agreed
Read more Current Affairs on: Delhi , Rehabilitation Policy , Urban Slum , JJ clusters

DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.

Latest Videos

Register to get FREE updates

    All Fields Mandatory
  • (Ex:9123456789)
  • Please Select Your Interest
  • Please specify

  • ajax-loader
  • A verifcation code has been sent to
    your mobile number

    Please enter the verification code below

This website uses cookie or similar technologies, to enhance your browsing experience and provide personalised recommendations. By continuing to use our website, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Cookie Policy. OK