Devap Air-Cooling System to be Used in Nalanda University; First Time in India
Architects building Nalanda International University at Bihar decided to make use of the Desiccant Enhanced Evaporative or Devap air-cooling system.
Architects building Nalanda International University at Bihar decided to make use of the Desiccant Enhanced Evaporative or the Devap air-cooling system. It is the first time that this kind of system will be used in India.
The Devap system functions by making use of dessicant material which gets rid of the moisture from using by making use of heat. The system also makes use of the evaporative technologies which bring cooling by making use of up to 90 percent less energy in comparison to the older methods.
Rajeev Kathpalia, principal architect of the Ahmedabad-based company Vastu Shilpa Consultants explained that using the Devap system in Nalanda International University is very useful because this system easily gels up with the method of the ancient seat of learning. Using Devap in Nalanda will be an experiment because this system has never been used in India.
Nalanda University will be constructed at Rajgir, which is situated around 100 km away from Patna. The construction of the University will take place on 446-acre plot, which is situated 12 km away from the ruins of ancient seat of learning. Construction would start in December 2013.
The academic session of this university will begin in 2014. The buildings of Nalanda University would be designed on net zero energy consumption concept. Nalanda University would produce its energy by making use of the photo voltaics. The University, additionally would collect biomass of neighbouring villages in order to generate electricity as well as harvest rainwater.
The initiative of Nalanda University was taken up by former President of India, A.P.J. Abdul Kalam in the year 2006.
What is Devap air-cooling system?
• The Devap air-cooling system provides solution to AC necessity. This system provides dehumidified, cold and clean air, but with an added advantage of less electricity and less energy-usage.
• It makes use of the chemical capabilities of desiccants. A desiccant is basically the hygroscopic substance which sustains or induces the dryness state in local vicinity in well-sealed container.
• The Devap air-cooling system was designed in order to replace the standard units of AC so that there was less difficulty regarding installation.
• It has been estimated that by making use of the Devap air-cooling system, the total energy savings are simulated to be somewhere between 40-80 percent. But the energy savings depend upon humidity level as well as geographical location.
• Devap air-cooling system is a good solution for curbing the greenhouse effect because of its energy efficiency as well as environmentally respectful chemicals.
• Though, this system has higher costs for commercial and residential units, but if operational costs are included, it becomes financially advantageous in the time span of just 30 years.