Dipa Karmakar became first Indian woman gymnast to win medal in Commonwealth Games
Dipa Karmakar on 31 July 2014 became the first Indian woman gymnast and second person of the country to win a medal
Dipa Karmakar on 31 July 2014 became the first Indian woman gymnast and second person of the country to win a medal at the Commonwealth Games. She bagged a bronze in the vault event and scripted history for and in India.
Karmakar, 20-year-old from Tripura collected 14.366 points to finish third in the women’s vault final at the SSE Hydro in Glasgow.
Gold and silver winners of the event
• Gold went to England's Claudia Fragapane who got 14.633 points
• Silver went to Canadian Elsabeth Black was second with 14.433 points
First Indian male gymnast to win a medal at CWG was Ashish Kumar. He won a silver in vault and bronze in floor events in the 2010 Delhi Commonwealth Games. In the 2014 Glasgow CWG, he finished at the sixth position in the men’s final in which he got Bronze in 2010. Gold, silver and bronze of the event were
• Gold went to England's Max Whitlock who got 15.533 points
• Silver went to Canada's Scott Morgan who got 15.133 points
• Bronze went to New Zealander David Bishop who got 14.55 points
If you have any Question/Point on the above information, please ask/discuss it in the Current Affairs Group