Irrfan Khan on 13 December 2013 won the best actor award for his brilliant performance in his film The Lunchbox at the 10th edition of Dubai International Film Festival (DIFF). Ritesh Batra, the Writer-Director of the film The Lunchbox, got a special mention for screenplay for the film in the same category. Irrfan won the award in the Muhr Asia Africa Feature Category.
Dubai International Film Festival was held from 6 December to 14 December 2013. The jury at the DIFF was headed by renowned filmmaker Shekhar Kapur.
The 2013 other Award winners were
• Apart from this, Ilo Ilo – the story of a Filipina maid from Singapore bagged the Best Picture Prize, whereas its star, Yeo Yann Yann won the Best Actress Award.
• Sandeep Ray won the best director award for his Bengali language film Shirno Bahu or the Thin Arms, which revolves around an ailing octogenarian woman in the Muhr Asia Africa shorts category
• The Palestinian work, Omar, won the top Muhr Arab Feature Prize. Omar, which was opened in the current 10th edition of the Festival, but also played at Cannes in May and Toronto in September. Omar is also Palestine’s submission for the Foreign Language Oscar. The movie is a thriller and talks about the relationship between a young Palestinian and a hardcore Israeli agent. Its director Hany Abu Assad was adjudged the best helmer
• In the Muhr Arab Feature Prize category, Yasmine Raees won Best Actress Award for the buzz-worthy Egyptian movie, Factory Girl – a work about the nation’s stifling social mores.
• Hassan Badid was declared the Best Actor for his performance in Morocco’s They are the Dogs
• Among the documentaries, Salma El Tarzi, a Egyptian filmmaker bagged the Best Director trophy for Underground on the Surface, while the Best Documentary spot was filled by Karim Amer’s The Square
• Emirates NBD People's Choice Award: Chris Buck, Jennifer Lee for American film Frozen and Amal Al-Agroobi for The Brain That Sings (UAE)
"If you have any Question/Point on the above issue, please ask/discuss it in the Current Affairs Group"
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.