E-way Bill System rolled out in India
The Central helpdesk of GST has made special arrangements with 100 agents to answer queries of taxpayers and transporters related to e-way Bills.
As per the deadline fixed by the GST Council, the e-Way Bill system became mandatory from April 1, 2018 for all inter-state movement of goods in India.
The e-Way Bill system is being implemented under the GST regime by GST Network (GSTN) in association with the National Informatics Centre (NIC). The system is being handled on the https://ewaybillgst.gov.in.portal.
Functioning of e-Way Bill system
• The Central helpdesk of GST has made special arrangements with 100 agents to answer queries of taxpayers and transporters related to e-way Bills.
• E-way Bill can be generated through various modes like online, Android App, SMS, using Bulk Upload Tool and API based site to site integration, etc.
• The consolidated e-way Bill can be generated by transporters for vehicle carrying multiple consignments.
• Transporters can create multiple sub-users and allocate roles to them, a way-out for large transporters to declare their various offices as sub-users.
• There is also a provision for cancellation of e-way Bill within 24 hours of creation.
• The recipient can also reject the e-way Bill within validity period of e-way bill or within 72 hours of creation of the e-way bill by the consignor, whichever is earlier.
Facts and Figures
• So far, a total of 1096905 taxpayers have registered themselves on e-Way Bill Portal.
• Over 19000 transporters, who are not registered under GST, have enrolled themselves on the e-Way Bill Portal.
• On April 1, 2018 itself, 171503 e-way bills were successfully generated on the portal.
Trial run of e-way bills
Earlier, to test the smooth roll-out of e-way bills for the movement of goods from one state to another, the trial run was conducted on January 16, 2018 for the entire country.