C Silvera, former Member of Parliament, died
He was the first and so far the only Mizo to be in the union council of ministers and the longest serving member of Parliament from the Mizoram (Lok Sabha constituency).
Former Union Minister and Congress leader C Silvera died on 9 April 2016 in Tuikhuahtlang, Aizawl district of Mizoram. He died of heart failure. He was 81.
• He was inducted as Union Minister of State for Health and Family Welfare in 1994 and afterwards was allotted industry portfolio.
• He was the longest serving member of Parliament from the Mizoram (Lok Sabha constituency).
• He was the first and so far the only Mizo to be in the union council of ministers.
• Born on 6 May 1935, Silvera earned his MBBS degree from Christian Medical College in Vellore in 1964.
• Before joining politics, he was appointed as the first Medical Superintendent at Christian Hospital Serkawn, a hospital under Baptist Missionary Society (BMS), London and later under Baptist Church of Mizoram.
• He was elected member of Rajya Sabha for the term 1984-1990 from Mizoram.
• He was member of 9th, 10th and 11th Lok Sabha.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App