Former Union Minister and Congress leader C Silvera died on 9 April 2016 in Tuikhuahtlang, Aizawl district of Mizoram. He died of heart failure. He was 81.
• He was inducted as Union Minister of State for Health and Family Welfare in 1994 and afterwards was allotted industry portfolio.
• He was the longest serving member of Parliament from the Mizoram (Lok Sabha constituency).
• He was the first and so far the only Mizo to be in the union council of ministers.
• Born on 6 May 1935, Silvera earned his MBBS degree from Christian Medical College in Vellore in 1964.
• Before joining politics, he was appointed as the first Medical Superintendent at Christian Hospital Serkawn, a hospital under Baptist Missionary Society (BMS), London and later under Baptist Church of Mizoram.
• He was elected member of Rajya Sabha for the term 1984-1990 from Mizoram.
• He was member of 9th, 10th and 11th Lok Sabha.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
Who: Former MP C Silvera