Hindi-language feature film Liar's Dice on 23 September 2014 was selected for India’s official entry in the 2015 Oscars Awards. The film is directed by Geethu Mohandas. The 87th Oscar Awards event will take place in the US on 22 February 2015.
The movie was nominated for the Best Foreign Language Film category. Out of 30 entries, this movie was chosen unanimously by 12-member jury headed by eminent filmmaker T. Hariharan.
- Liar’s Dice was released in Thiruvananthapuram on 19 September2014 and will open in Pune on 26 September 2014. It will be exhibited across the country in November 2014 by PVR Pictures.
- The movie stars national award winning actors Geetanjali Thapa and Nawazuddin Siddiqui.
- The movie is set along the Himachal-Tibet border. It deals with distress migration.
- Liar’s Dice is about the adventures of Kamala, her daughter and a mysterious man who meet them during their travels. Looking for her missing husband, Kamala is both intrigued and frightened by brooding character of Siddiqui.
- Liar's Dice won the best cinematography honour for Rajeev Ravi and best actress title for Geetanjali at the 61st National Film Awards in 2014.
- Moreover, it was screened at the Sundance Film Festival and International Film Festival Rotterdam.
- The film was also premiered at the Mumbai Film Festival (MFF) in 2013.
India and Oscar Awards
India has never won an Oscar in the best foreign film category. The last Indian film that made it to the final five nominees at the Oscar Awards was Ashutosh Gowariker's Lagaan.
Mother India and Salaam Bombay were the other two Indian films that managed to make it to the top five nominees at the Oscar Awards.