Gopal Baglay appointed as Joint Secretary in PMO
Baglay's appointment as the Joint Secretary came less than five months after he took charge as Head of the ministry's external publicity division.
Gopal Baglay, the Foreign Ministry Spokesperson, was on 21 July 2017 appointed as the Joint Secretary to the Prime Minister's Office (PMO). His appointment was approved by the Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC) for a period of three years.
Baglay succeeds Vinay Mohan Kwatra, who is now appointed as India's Ambassador to France.
Baglay's appointment as the Joint Secretary came less than five months after he took charge as Head of the ministry's external publicity division. He is likely to be succeeded by Raveesh Kumar, Consul General of India in Frankfurt.
About Gopal Baglay
• Baglay is a 1992 batch Indian Foreign Service officer.
• He has handled media at the embassy in Kathmandu as a counsellor from 2008 to 2010.
• Baglay has served as Deputy High Commissioner to Islamabad from 2011 to 2014.
• Later, he was tasked to work in External Affairs Ministry dealing with Pakistan, Afghanistan and Iran.
• He also led the special division in the foreign ministry started by the NDA government to facilitate international outreach of India's states.