Minister of state for culture, Mahesh Sharma and Union Minister for Housing and Urban Affairs, Hardeep Singh Puri on October 15, 2018 jointly laid the foundation stone for proposed Museum on Prime Ministers of India at Teen Murti Estate, New Delhi.
The new museum will incorporate the Nehru Memorial Museum and Library (NMML) at the Teen Murti Estate, the official residence of India’s first Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru.
The proposed Museum will be constructed at a cost of Rs. 271 crore.
Museum on Prime Ministers of India
• The Teen Murti Estate has a total area of 25.50 acres out of which, Nehru Memorial Museum Building occupies an area of 4286 sq meter and the Library Building has an area of 4552 sq meter. Put together, both the areas occupy roughly around 2 acres.
• The Government has decided to set up the “Museum on Prime Ministers of India” in the remaining area of 23 acres of Teen Murti Estate which is under the Union Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs.
• The Museum Building Complex will be constructed with a built up area of 10975.36 sq meters comprising of basement, ground and first floor with galleries at all the three levels.
• The proposed Museum will include an orientation space, souvenir shop, space for organising talks and discussions, seminar halls, auditorium, workshop areas, library, documentation room, laboratory and archive areas.
• The design of the proposed Museum shall be symbolic of an emergent and rising India, shaped over the years by its eminent leaders and would focus on collecting, documenting, researching and disseminating information in respect of all the Prime Ministers of India.
Congress’ objection against the construction of Museum
The construction of the proposed museum has been disputed and opposed by Congress leaders and few members of the Nehru Memorial Museum and Library (NMML) society, opining that the museum would stain Nehru’s legacy.
Moreover, Former Prime Minister Manmohan Singh wrote to Prime Minister Narendra Modi, asking the government to leave NMML “undisturbed”. He said that the present museum respected both history and heritage
About Nehru Memorial Museum and Library (NMML)
• The Nehru Memorial Museum and Library (NMML), a memorial to Jawaharlal Nehru, is housed in the historic Teen Murti House, the official residence of the first Prime Minister of India Jawaharlal Nehru.
• The Teen Murti House or Teen Murti Estate was designed by Robert Tor Russel and built in 1929-30 as part of Edwin Lutyens' imperial capital.
• Teen Murti House has four major constituents namely, a Memorial Museum, a Library on modern India, a Centre for Contemporary Studies and Nehru Planetarium.
• Under the supervision of the NMML Society, which has the Prime Minister as its Head, the NMML council manages the overall affairs of the Nehru Memorial Museum and Library.
Video: Check out the latest current affairs of this week