The Garden Reach Shipbuilders and Engineers Limited (GRSE) of Kolkata on 30 August 2016 handed over TIHAYU, the Water Jet Fast Attack Craft (WJFAC) to the Indian Navy. The warship was handed over by Rear Admiral (Retd) AK Verma, CMD of GRSE to the Commanding Officer Cdr Ajay Kashov.
GRSE had earlier built and delivered 10 WJFACs to the Indian Navy during 2009 to 2011, which are proving well in service.
About TIHAYU, the Water Jet Fast Attack Craft (WJFAC)
• Named after an island in the Andaman, Tihayu is fitted with three water jet propulsion systems powered by marine diesel engines generating 2720 KW of power.
• This Follow-on WJFAC ship is a further improved version of Fast Attack Crafts earlier built by GRSE for Indian Navy.
• The ship has an efficient hull form developed by the in-house Design Centre of GRSE and proved by extensive model testing to achieve speeds in excess of 35 knots.
• This warship measuring 48 X 7.5 M with a displacement of around 315 Tons, has an endurance of around 2000 nautical miles at 12-14 knots speed.
• It also boasts of modern habitability conditions with accommodation for 29 personnel.
• It is also fitted with CRN-91 indigenous 30mm Gun, to provide Artillery fire support during attack missions.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
When: 30 August 2016