Gujarat, AAI, Union Government sign tripartite MoU to build small airports
Airports of Bhavnagar, Bhuj, Jamnagar, Surat, Porbandar, Mehsana, Mandvi, Amreli, Kandla, Keshod and Deesa will be developed, which fall under un-served-underserved category.
The Gujarat government on 1 September 2016 signed a tripartite Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the Ministry of Civil Aviation and the Airport Authority of India (AAI) to develop 11 small airports and airstrips under the Centre’s Regional Connectivity Scheme (RCS).
The MoU was signed to boost regional air connectivity in the State.
Highlights of the MoU
• MoU was signed to develop the 11 air-strips / airports which are in working or not in working position, so that the state aviation sector may develop to provide easy connectivity to the passengers of state.
• Airports of Bhavnagar, Bhuj, Jamnagar, Surat, Porbandar, Mehsana, Mandvi, Amreli, Kandla, Keshod and Deesa will be developed, which fall under un-served-underserved category.
• The Centre will provide the financial resources under viability gap funding of the RCS.
• The infrastructural development will take place as per the RCS of civil aviation ministry.
• Apart from developing infrastructure at the 11 airports, the Union Government will provide subsidies to airline operators, including cheaper fuel.
With this MoU, Gujarat became the third State after Jharkhand and Maharashtra to have signed such an agreement to seek the Centre’s support to provide financial assistance to create infrastructural facilities in small airports.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App