The state government of Gujarat would be launching free treatment scheme for the road accident victims on May 18, 2018.
The announcement for the same was made last week by Gujarat’s Deputy Chief Minister Nitin Patel, who also handles Health portfolio.
• Under the scheme, the state government will bear medical expenses of up to 50,000 rupees for each victim of a road accident in the state for the first 48 hours.
• The government would reimburse the amount to the hospital concerned upon submission of bills.
• The free treatment facility will include dressing of wounds, X-ray, blood transfusion, treatment in ICU and MRI and all other treatment available in a hospital.
• In an instance where a hospital refers the patient to another hospital within 48 hours, both the hospitals will be eligible for the reimbursement of their combined bill of Rs 50,000.
• The move is aimed at providing timely and better treatment and thus, minimising the loss of life due to road accidents.
Who will benefit from the scheme?
Besides covering the people of Gujarat, the scheme would cover people belonging to other states and also citizens from other countries.
According to a Government Resolution issued by the state’s Health and Family Welfare department on May 17, even people hailing from other states or citizens of other countries will get free treatment regardless of their income if they meet with a road accident and get admitted to a government or a private hospital in Gujarat.
Gujarat: Road Accidents Record from Year 2005 to 2017
Who: Gujarat Government