Reserve Bank's Executive Director Gurumoorthy Mahalingam was on 7 October 2016 appointed as a Whole-Time Member of market regulator SEBI. His appointment was approved by the Union Finance Ministry for a period of five years or till he attains the age of 65 years, whichever is earlier.
Mahalingam succeeds Prashant Saran as the Whole-Time Member as Saran retired from the post in June 2016.
Apart from the Chairman, the Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) can have three Whole-Time Members (WTMs).
About Gurumoorthy Mahalingam
• Mahalingam is Executive Director and former regional director of Reserve Bank of India.
• In his current role at RBI, Mahalingam was involved in monitoring and surveillance of money, forex, government securities and derivative markets intervention operations.
• Associated with RBI for last 30 years, he has served in various roles including that of Inspecting Officer, Chief Forex Dealer, Chief Investment Dealer, Head of Internal Debt Management Department.
• He has also been associated with NISM (National Institute of Securities Markets), an educational initiative of SEBI, as part of its visiting faculty.
• He is MSc in Statistics and Operations Research from IIT, Kanpur and an MBA in International Banking and Finance from Birmigham Business School, UK.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
When: 7 October 2016
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.