Haryana Government on 13 May 2016 notified the Haryana Backward Classes (Reservation in Services and Admission in Educational Institutions) Act 2016.
The act was enacted to provide reservation to Jats and four other castes in services and admission in educational institutions in the state.
Highlights of Haryana Backward Classes Act 2016
• The Act provides 10 percent reservation in service for Class III and IV posts and six percent reservation in Class I and II posts to the Jat, Jat Sikhs, Ror, Bishnoi, Tyagi, Mulla Jat or Muslim Jat in Schedule III.
• It provides 10 percent reservation for admissions to educational institutions to people belonging to these castes.
• It provides 16 percent reservation for Class III and IV posts and 11 percent in Class I and II posts in schedule I to the people belonging to Backward Classes of A category.
• These people would also get 16 percent reservation in admissions in educational institutions.
• The Act would also provide 11 percent reservation for Class III and IV posts and six percent in Class I and II posts in Schedule II to the people belonging to Backward Classes of B category.
• Those belonging to BC-B category would also be entitled for 11 percent reservation for admission in educational institutions.
• A total of 71 castes fall in the list of BC-A category of Schedule, whereas six castes have been included in the list of BC-B category in Schedule II.
Apart from this, the notification states that notwithstanding anything in this Act, the state government may provide for horizontal reservation for such category or categories of persons within Backward Classes, as it may deem necessary from time to time.
• For appointments and admission to educational institutions, reservation shall be made for members of Backward Classes as specified in the schedule.
• No person belonging to creamy layer of Backward Classes shall be considered for admission in educational institutions or for appointment in services against the seats reserved therein for Backward Classes.
• The government shall, by notifications, after taking into consideration social, economic and such other factors as deemed appropriate specify the criteria for exclusion and identification of persons belonging to Backward Classes as creamy layer. The criteria fixed under sub-section two shall be reviewed every three years.
• The notification also states that where seats reserved for Backward Classes for admission in educational institutions are not filled up in an academic year due to non availability of candidates with requisite qualifications, the same shall, after the display of final list of admissions for that year, be made available to general category candidates.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App