Eminent historian Professor A V Narasimha Murthy on 17 April 2017 was presented with Dr. Paduru Gururaja Bhat Award 2017.
The award was presented to Murthy by D V Sadananda Gowda, Union Minister for Statistics and Programme Implementation.
Murthy was chosen for the prestigious award in consideration of his contribution to Indian Archaeology, Ancient History and Numismatics.
Murthy is the Chairman of the Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan (BVB), Mysuru. He also served as the Head of the Department of Ancient History and Archaeology, University of Mysore.
Who was Dr Paduru Gururaja Bhat?
• Paduru Gururaja Bhat was a teacher, historian and researcher par excellence.
• He studied and researched history of Tulu Nadu for over 20 years. He also observed different aspects of culture by travelling to most of the villages in Udupi and Dakshina Kannada districts and visiting temples and other places studying inscriptions.
• He is remembered for providing cultural identity to the region of Tulu Nadu.
• On the basis of his extensive research, Bhat published his magnum opus, Studies in Tuluva History and Culture, in 1975.
About Dr Paduru Gururaja Bhat Award 2017
• The prestigious award was instituted in 2010 by Udupi-based Dr Paduru Gururaja Bhat Memorial Trust.
• The award carries a citation and a purse of Rs. 50000.
• The award recognises outstanding contributions in the field of history, archaeology, sociology, and other social sciences.
When: 17 April 2017
Indian Navy commences largest-ever coastal defence exercise – ‘Sea Vigil’
PM Narendra Modi inaugurates Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose museum at Red Fort
Child born out of marriage between Muslim man & Hindu woman entitled to father's property: SC
Indu Shekhar Jha took oath as Member of Central Electricity Regulatory Commission