IDFC Bank on 8 March 2017 launched biometric-based Aadhaar Pay App, India’s first Aadhaar-linked application that uses shopkeeper's Android smartphone to enable cashless payments.
The app can be download only by the link sent to the merchant’s mobile number after e-KYC verification of merchant’s account number. To get the app, the merchants are required to visit the nearest branch of IDFC bank.
Aadhar Pay App was developed by the IDFC Bank along with UIDAI and National Payments Corporation of India.
How Aadhar Payment App will Work?
• Merchants will be required to download the Aadhar Pay payment app on their android smartphone connected to a biometric reader which costs Rs 2000.
• While, a customer, who wants to make payment, just needs to enter his Aadhar Number in the app of the merchant and select the bank from which the payment is to be made and use the biometric scan as the password for the transaction.
• Upon entering the Aadhar Number, the app will automatically fetch the bank accounts linked with your Aadhar number.
• Customers will not require any app or password to pay to merchants against any purchase.
• However, only the bank account holders whose Aadhar number is linked with their bank account will be eligible to make payments through Aadhar Pay Payment app.
• The merchants will be required to connect their bank accounts and register themselves on the app.
The IDFC Aadhar Pay App will help eliminate the long waiting period and hassle of getting a new PoS (Point of Sale) machine. Presently, there are only 15 lakh PoS machines deployed by the banks across the country. SBI alone has deployed over 3 lakh PoS followed by HDFC Bank and ICICI Bank.
Customers will not be required to carry debit or credit cards, download mobile applications or even carry a mobile to make cashless transactions through this app. This simply eliminates the hassles of remembering passwords, account numbers or setting up virtual payment addresses to transfer money.