IIT-Kanpur professor Sanjay Mittal in third week of June 2016 bagged the prestigious G D Birla Award for Scientific Research for 2015.
Mittal was instrumental in establishing the High Performance Computing (HPC) facility at IIT Kanpur and heads the National Wind Tunnel Facility.
Who is Sanjay Mittal?
• Sanjay Mittal is a Professor of computational fluid dynamics in the Department of Aerospace Engineering at IIT-Kanpur.
• He completed his BTech from IIT Kanpur in 1988.
• Thereafter, he got enrolled at University of Minnesota, Twin Cities for MS programme.
• He received his PhD and worked as a Research Associate under Professor Tayfun E. Tezduyar.
• Then, he worked at Army High Performance Computing Center for 2 years.
• He returned to India and joined IIT Kanpur in 1994 as an Assistant Professor.
• He is also a recipient of the Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Prize for Science and Technology.
• His most significant contribution has been in the area of Bluff Body Flows (flows past blunt bodies associated with large unsteady separation and leading to large fluid forces).
About G D Birla Award for Scientific Research
• G D Birla Award for Scientific Research was instituted in 1991 by the K. K. Birla Foundation.
• It was instituted in honour of the Indian philanthropist Ghanshyam Das Birla.
• The award is given to an outstanding scientific research, mostly during the past 5 years, undertaken by an Indian scientist, who is below the age of 50, living and working in India.
• The award is given every year and is available for all branches of science including medical science, basic and applied.
• G D Birla Award for Scientific Research for 2014 was given to Sanjeev Galande.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
When: Third week of June 2016
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.