Ilya Segalovich, the co-founder of Yandex, the largest search engine of Russia, died on 27 July 2013 at a London hospital due to brain cancer. He was 48 years of age. Ilya Segalovich was earlier diagnosed with stomach cancer and cured positively due to chemical therapy. Eventually he was diagnosed with brain cancer.
Life Sketch of Ilya Segalovich
• Ilya Segalovich was born on 13 September 1964.
• He was the co-founder of Russian search engine Yandex. Yandex was found in the year 1997. Yandex enjoys 62 percent of the search engine market in Russia, in comparison to 25.6 percent of Google.
• He remained the CTO as well as Director of Yandex since 2000 till his date of death.
• The name of Yandex was proposed by Ilya Segalovich. He derived the idea of the name from the phrase- Yet Another Index.
• He started off his career in 1990 by working on the information retrieval technologies at Arkadia Company. He was the head of the software team there.
• From the year 1993 to 2000, he was the leader of the retrieval systems department at CompTek International.
• Finally, in the year 2000, he left CompTek International and established Yandex as the standalone company.
• He was also the co-founder as well as supporter of Maria's Children Art Rehabilitation Center for orphans and children with special needs.
• He had a degree in geophysics from S. Ordzhonikidze Moscow Geologic Exploration Institute.
Who: Ilya Segalovich
Where: London hospital
When: 27 July 2013
Why: due to brain cancer
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.