India signed three agreements with Armenia on 25 April 2017 in Yerevan to boost bilateral cooperation between the two nations. The agreements were signed following Indian Vice President Hamid Ansari’s talks with Armenia’s top leadership including President Serzh Sargsyan, Prime Minister Karen Karapetyan and Foreign Minister Eduard Nalbandian.
The meeting saw both sides agree on the fact that the international community must unite and speak with one voice against terrorism and not have double standards on the issue. Indian Vice President also stressed on the fact that there is nothing such as good or bad terrorism.
• During the talks, India and Armenia agreed that connectivity is an important factor in their relationship and that there is need to enhance cooperation in the number of direct flights plying between the two nations.
• They also agreed to liberalise visa procedures to augment people to people contact among their citizens.
• They also agreed to increase cooperation in the agricultural sector. A joint working group is expected to meet soon to finalise the broader outline for the same.
• Besides this, India agreed to help Armenia build satellite and remote sensing data matters and also train Armenian scientists.
• In the cultural aspect, the two countries agreed to enhance cooperation in the broadcasting and film sector especially Bollywood.
• Armenia has, in fact, extended an invitation to the Indian film industry to shoot in their country. A team from Bollywood is expected to visit Armenia to explore the possibility.
Commenting on the exchange, the Ministry of External Affairs Secretary (East) Preeti Saran stated that the two countries are celebrating the 25th anniversary of their diplomatic ties and Vice President Ansari’s visit now has initiated a new chapter in their relationship.
Prior to this, Armenia has voluntarily supported India in international forums including in the United Nations. India has also helped the country in many fields including in establishing a centre of excellence, in building Param supercomputer and also in setting up numerous computer labs in schools.
When: 25 April 2017