As per the data released by the International Stainless Steel Forum (ISSF) in May 2017, India overtook Japan to become the second-largest steel producer in the world in 2016.
The data was released by the International Stainless Steel Forum at a annual conference in Tokyo, Japan.
India’s stainless steel production rose to 3.32 million tons for 2016. The data showed a growth of about 9 per cent over 3.0 million tons achieved in 2015.
As per the data, the top producer of the steel of the world in the year 2016 is China.
Iron and steel industry in India
• During 2014 and 2015, India was the third largest producer of raw steel and the largest producer of sponge iron in the world.
• The industry produced 91.46 million tons of total finished steel and 9.7 million tons of pig iron.
• Most iron and steel in India is produced from iron ore.
• Most of the public sector undertakings market their steel through the Steel Authority of India (SAIL).
• The iron and steel industry in India is organised into three categories: main producers, other major producers and secondary producers.
About International Stainless Steel Forum
• The International Stainless Steel Forum (ISSF) is a non-profit research organisation.
• The body serves as the world forum on various aspects of the international stainless steel industry.
• It was founded in 1996.
When: Announced in May 2017