India and Kenya on 11 January 2017 signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) on cooperation in agriculture and allied sectors. The MoU was signed after successful summit level talks between Prime Minister Narendra Modi and President of Kenya Uhuru Kenyatta in New Delhi.
Uhuru Kenyatta is on an official visit to India. Since 1981, this is the first State visit from Kenya to India.
On this occasion, both the countries also signed a line of credit agreement worth US $100 million. Under the agreement, India will take steps for mechanisation of agriculture in Kenya.
In addition to the MoU and the line of credit agreement, both the leaders released a joint statement.
Highlights of the joint statement are –
• Both the countries discussed long term arrangements for production and import of pulses. These arrangements will be of much help for India that imported Rs 25,000 crore worth pulses from African and Asian nations to meet nutrition demands.
• India will explore means to share best practises in organic farming with Kenyan farmers.
• In the health sector, Bhabhatron machine was delivered to the Kenyatta National Hospital for cancer treatment. Related capacity building of the Kenyan doctors will be undertaken under India Africa Forum Summit initiative.
• Kenya's support to the International Solar Alliance (ISA) was appreciated by the Indian government. The ISA is a multilateral platform launched by India in December 2015 to harness solar energy for economic growth.
• Both countries will explore opportunities in blue economy. Blue economy conceptualises oceans as development spaces by integrating oil and mineral wealth extraction, bio-prospecting and energy production.
• India and Kenya will cooperate in specific areas of priority such as hydrography, communications networks, anti-piracy, capacity building, exchanges and defence medical cooperation.
• A joint working group will meet to discuss cooperation on cyber security, counter terrorism, combating drugs, narcotics, human trafficking and money laundering.
Where: New Delhi
What: Signed by India by Kenya
When: 11 January 2017
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.