India and Kenya on 11 July 2016 inked seven agreements to enhance cooperation and bilateral relations between the two countries.
The agreements were inked during Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s visit to Kenya from 10 July to 11 July 2016. He visited the country on an invitation of President Uhuru Kenyatta. This was the first at the level of Prime Minister in 35 years.
Modi was on a four nation visit to Africa namely Kenya, Tanzania, South Africa and Mozambique from 7 July to 11 July 2016.
Agreements signed includes
• Revised Double Taxation Avoidance Agreement (DTAA).
• Bilateral agreement on exemption of Visa for holders of Diplomatic passports.
• MoU on Defence Cooperation.
• MoU on Cooperation in the field of standardisation, expertise sharing and mutual trade between Bureau of Indian Standards and Bureau of Kenya Standards.
• MoU on Cooperation in the field of National Housing Policy Development and Management.
• Line of Credit Agreement for US $15 million (first tranche of US $30 million) to IDB Capital Limited, Kenya, for development of various small and medium enterprises [SMEs] in Kenya.
• Line of Credit Agreement for US $29.95 million to the Government of Kenya for upgrade of Rift Valley Textiles Factory [RIVATEX East Africa Limited], Kenya.
Besides, the two nations also agreed on the importance of bolstering cooperation in the Health and Pharmaceutical sector. During the discussion session held between Modi and Kenyatta, Modi also announced the gifting of
• A telecobalt cancer therapy machine – the Bhabhatron II
• A donation of essential/ARV medicines and medical equipment and capacity building/training programmes in the health sector.
He also assured that positive consideration will be given to extend a LoC for the establishment of 100 beds Cancer Hospital in Kenya. On Development Assistance, India proposed to extend Lines of Credit (LoC) for Geothermal Projects and for agricultural mechanisation.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
Who: India and Kenya
When: 11 July 2016
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.