Indian Railways, National High Speed Rail Corporation and Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) on 21 December 2016 signed a Memorandum for General Consultancy.
Under the tripartite consultancy agreement, JICA promotes smooth implementation of the Mumbai-Ahmedabad High Speed Railway Project.
Highlights of the Memorandum for General Consultancy
• The general consultancy involves providing design and bidding assistance for the public works and systems required for the construction of the project.
• The JICA will bear the cost of general consultancy up to 2020.
• The memorandum is an outcome of the Japan-India Summit level talks in December 2015.
About Mumbai-Ahmedabad High Speed Railway Project
• It is India’s first high speed railway line project.
• It is a 508 km line project linking Mumbai and Ahmedabad.
• Out of the total project cost of Rs 97636 crore, Japan offered an assistance of over Rs 79000 crore.
• The project is expected to be completed by 2023.
• Apart from the general consultancy, Japanese agencies will be involved in a wide range of other services like human resource training, technology transfer, etc.
About Japan International Cooperation Agency
• It is a governmental agency of Japan that coordinates the official overseas development assistance.
• It has 4 missions viz., addressing the global agenda, reducing poverty through equitable growth, improving governance and achieving human security.
• To achieve these missions the JICA follows 4 strategies viz., integrated assistance, seamless assistance, promoting development partnerships and enhancing research and knowledge-sharing.
• It is playing a key role in strengthening bilateral relations between India and Japan.
• In India, the JICA is actively involved in infrastructure development and poverty alleviation programmes.
• JICA is providing assistance to realize Japan-India cooperation such as the Delhi-Mumbai Industrial Corridor (DMIC) and the Chennai-Bengaluru Industrial Corridor (CBIC).
• It is involved in strengthening Japan-India academic-industry networks and human resources development for industries such as manufacturing.
• JICA is extending its assistance to contribute to stronger relations between Japan and India.
Who: Indian Railways
What: Partnered with JICA
When: 21 December 2016
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.