An Indian-origin South African Ravi Reddy was on 18 September 2016 appointed as the Head of International Society for Blood Transfusion (ISBT), headquartered in Amsterdam.
With this, Reddy became the first person from the African continent to head ISBT, a global organisation of medicine professionals working for the safety of blood transfusion worldwide.
The ISBT, now with 100 member countries, was established in 1935 as a platform for exchanging knowledge and advancing the blood-transfusion practice.
About Ravi Reddy
• He is currently serving as the Chief Operations Officer of the South African National Blood Service (SANBS).
• He has served in various capacities for more than three decades after starting out as a volunteer at the age of 16 at SANBS.
• He subsequently qualified as a medical technologist with an MBA from the University of Natal in South Africa.
• He represented the African region on the board of the ISBT between 2006 and 2012, and is also a member of the Working Party on Transfusion and Transmissible Infections.
• He has presented and published a large number of scientific papers.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
Who: Ravi Reddy
When: 18 September 2016