The Union Minister for Women and Child Development, Maneka Gandhi presented the prestigious Nari Shakti Puraskar 2017 to the members of the INSV Tarini team in New Delhi on May 24, 2018.
The all-women team comprised six members including Lt Commander Vartika Joshi, Lt Commander Pratibha Jamwal, Lt Commander Swathi Patarpalli, Lt Aishwarya Bodapatti, Lt SH Vijaya Devi and Lt Payal Gupta.
The Nari Shakti Puraskars were conferred to the recipients by President Ram Nath Kovind on March 8, 2018, on the occasion of International Women’s Day. However, the award could not be presented to the INSV Tarini team, as they were sailing then.
INSV Voyage: Key Details
• The six-member crew led by Lieutenant Commander Vartika Joshi circumnavigated and managed the whole operation on their own.
• It is the first ever circumnavigation of the globe by an all-women Indian crew.
• The expedition lasted for 254 days, which included 199 days at sea, covering a total of 21600 nautical miles.
• In total, the team made 5 port calls including Fremantle in Australia, Lyttelton in New Zealand, Port Stanley in Falkland Islands, Cape Town in South Africa and finally Mauritius before returning to home base to Goa.
• The vessel encountered rough seas, high stormy conditions and severely cold temperatures, making the expedition an extremely challenging one.
• All the six members aboard had undergone proper training for a period of three years before undertaking the massive operation.
• The training was conducted under Captain Dilip Donde, who was the first Indian to successfully carry out solo-circumnavigation of the globe between 2009 and 2010.
Besides, successfully circumnavigating the globe on a 55-foot yacht, the crew also collated and updated meteorological, ocean and wave data on a regular basis for accurate weather forecast by Indian Meteorological Department and reported marine pollution on the high seas.
They interacted extensively with the local populace, especially children, during the port halts to promote ocean sailing and spirit of adventure.
Video: Check out the latest current affairs of this week
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.