The United Nations General Assembly on 13 June 2016 elected Israel to chair its Legal Committee, which is also known as the Sixth Committee.
It is for the first time ever that Israel has been chosen to head one of its six permanent committees.
In the secret ballot election, Israel received 109 Yes votes. No votes were cast against Israel. However, there were 23 abstentions, 14 invalid ballots and 43 votes for other countries in the Western European.
About Sixth Committee
• The United Nations General Assembly Sixth Committee (Legal) is one of the main committees of the United Nations General Assembly.
• The Sixth Committee is the primary forum for the consideration of legal questions in the General Assembly.
• The committee has universal membership, which means all member states of the UN are de jure members of the Sixth committee.
• It is led by a chairman assisted by three vice-chairmen and a rapporteur.
• It meets every year from late September to late November.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
When: 13 June 2016