Jharkhand to provide free mobile phones to 28 lakh farmers, says CM
Jharkhand Chief Minister Raghubar Das has announced that the government will provide free mobile phones to 28 lakh farmers and a separate electric feeder for them for agriculture purpose by 2019/2021. The move will help the farmers know about the market rates and other information relating to agriculture.
Jharkhand Chief Minister Raghubar Das on November 29, 2018 announced that the government will provide free mobile phones to 28 lakh farmers and a separate electric feeder for them for agriculture purpose by 2019/2021.
The information was shared by the Chief Minister while speaking at the inaugural function of the two-day Agriculture and Food Summit in Ranchi. The CM said that a separate electric feeder would be set up by May 2019 for farmers for agriculture purpose, providing them six hours of uninterrupted electricity.
• The mobile phones will be given to the farmers to keep the middlemen away and also help farmers to have greater information about the market.
• The move will help the farmers know about the market rates and other information relating to agriculture.
• Besides this, the state will ensure that power supply will reach every household by December 2018 and by May 2019 separate feeders would be set up for agriculture, for households and industrial usage.
• Further, 24x7 power supply will be made available in the rural areas of the state by August 2019.
• CM Raghubar Das gave credit to the farmers for the state jumping to 14 per cent agriculture growth from minus 4.5 per cent registered four years ago.
• He said that in order to provide a further boost to the agriculture growth, the state has to modernise the farmers, ensuring production at an international yardstick.
Towards the same, the state’s Chief Minister suggested the farmers:
- To try and earn one-third of their income from agriculture, another one-third from animal husbandry and another 1-3rd from horticulture and floriculture.
- To start solar farming on barren land, which would help them increase their income, and the government will procure through grid at three rupees per unit.
- To use modern technology in farming, in order to be in line with the era of globalization and double their income by 2022.
- To focus on dairy production and bring white revolution by 2022 in the state, besides focusing on organic farming.
The state government has sanctioned sufficient funds for the development of agriculture and allied activities and framed a food processing policy, which is focused on bottling and packaging as food processing is the important link between the farmers and the urban customers.
The government has also announced that it will foot the premium of interest generated from loans taken by farmers if the latter returned the loan amount within one year of taking the loan.
Jharkhand has shown the maximum turnaround in farmer’s life in the last four years in comparison to the other states.
The state, which is both mineral and agriculture-rich, has achieved 19 per cent growth in agriculture.
Currently, the state is working on how to produce maximum yield with minimum water, while it registered 83 per cent growth in fish production.
Efforts are also on in the state to produce tomatoes, onions, peas and other vegetables. The farmers are also being encouraged to take up organic farming.
The state has introduced several initiatives in the agriculture sector in the last four years such as single window facility, soil health card, women self-help groups, farm producers groups, the revival of water resources and Krishi bazaar modernisation among others.
Take Weekly Tests on app for exam prep and compete with others. Download Current Affairs and GK app
एग्जाम की तैयारी के लिए ऐप पर वीकली टेस्ट लें और दूसरों के साथ प्रतिस्पर्धा करें। डाउनलोड करें करेंट अफेयर्स ऐपAndroidIOS