Shooter Jitu Rai on 25 June 2016 won silver in the 10 m Air Pistol event at the ISSF World Cup held in Baku, Azerbaijan.
It is the second medal in a World Cup this season for Rai, who had won the free pistol gold in the first World Cup in Bangkok.
Brazilian shooter Felipe Almeida Wu won the gold medal, while Korea’s Jin Jongoh bagged the bronze medal.
Who is Jitu Rai?
• Jitu Rai is an Indian shooter of Nepalese origin.
• He competes in the 10 metre air pistol and 50 metre pistol events.
• In 2014, he won the silver medal in the 10 metre air pistol event at the ISSF World Cup in Munich.
• He won two medals, a silver in the 50 metre pistol event and a gold in the 10 metre air pistol event, in Maribor.
• He became the first person to have won two medals at a single world cup for India.
• He was ranked number 1 in the world, in 10 metre air pistol and number 4, in 50 metre pistol, in July 2014.
• In the 2014 Asian Games held at Incheon in South Korea, he won the gold medal in the 50 m pistol category. He also won a bronze in the men's 10 m air pistol team event.
About ISSF World Cup
• The ISSF World Cup was introduced by the International Shooting Sport Federation in 1986.
• It was introduced to provide a homogeneous system for qualification to the Olympic shooting competitions.
• It is still carried out in the Olympic shooting events, with four competitions per year in each event.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
Who: Jitu Rai
When: 25 June 2016
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.