The President of India Pranab Mukherjee on 18 November 2015 appointed Justice Tirath Singh Thakur as the Chief Justice of India.
Justice Thakur will take over the office from 3 December 2015 as the 43rd Chief Justice of India. His tenure will be till 3 January 2017.
About Justice T. S. Thakur
• Justice Thakur was enrolled as a Pleader in October 1972 and joined the Chamber of his father D.D. Thakur.
• He practised in Civil, Criminal, Constitutional, Taxation and Service matters in the High Court of Jammu & Kashmir.
• He was elected as the President of the Bar Association in 1986.
• He was designated as a Senior Advocate in 1990.
• He was appointed as an Additional Judge of the High Court of Jammu & Kashmir on 16 February 1994.
• He was transferred as Judge of the High Court of Karnataka in March 1994.
• In July 2004, he was transferred as a Judge of the High Court of Delhi.
• He was appointed as Acting Chief Justice of Delhi High Court on 9 April 2008.
• He took over as Chief Justice of the High Court of Punjab and Haryana on 11 August 2008.
• He was elevated as Judge of Supreme Court and assumed the charge on 17 November 2009.
• He was conferred Doctor of Laws (Honoris Causa) degree by Dr. Ram Manohar Lohiya National Law University, Lucknow on 31 October 2015.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App